Wednesday, February 5

Dreaming of Spring: Outdoor Play Space

We got snow here. Again. For those used to getting lots of snow each winter (or living only in a world of white for months on end), I don't know how you do it. I'm going stir crazy! To keep from losing my mind, I've been scouring the web (mostly Pinterest) and planning out our spring and summer projects. 

The next few posts will be a series called "Dreaming of Spring" and will include inspiration photos for our spring and summer projects. Today I'm sharing ideas I've been collecting for creating an outdoor play environment for our kids. What I love about most of these ideas is how inexpensive they are! 

Build an outdoor chalkboard. Store your chalk and erasers in a mailbox. (Genius idea!!)
{via}

Paint some stumps with bright colors for fun stepping stones to your play area.
{via}

Paint a tire swing with fun colors and patterns. I love the giant polka dots here!
{via}

Create a music area, complete with DIY xylophone!
{via}

Plant a sunflower hut. You could also create more structure and cover it with any other child-safe vine plant, such as peas, morning glories, etc.
{via}  

Paint tires in bright colors and let the kids use them to create their own garden. They would love to select their own seeds or plants from the garden center and it would build responsibility to care for them throughout the growing season. (I wouldn't grow food in tires, but that's just me.) ;)
 
{via}


Create a sand box from an old tractor tire. Place in a shaded area or add a picnic table umbrella. (We have a tire like this, but it needs a new paint job.)
{via} 

Use old shutters, doors or even pallets to create a privacy screen, if needed. (We want one on the west side to provide some protection from late afternoon heat.)
{via}
I don't know about you, but ready for warmer weather, sunshine, blue skies and to get my hands dirty! Stay tuned for more in this series including vegetable, fruit and herb garden ideas and ways to add curb appeal!

No comments: