Wednesday, January 8

Love is in the air...

Are you a fan of Valentine's Day? I love it...not so much for the candy, flowers or cards (because we rarely exchange gifts for it), but for the reminder of the beauty of love. Love from and for my husband, my children, my family, my friends and most of all, my Father God. It's a chance to re-focus my attention on the presence of Love in my life.

{Please excuse the poor quality of photos...my DSLR is on life support, so these are courtesy of the iPad.}


We don't have a mantel, so I usually decorate this big shelf in our living room for holidays and seasons. I added a light blue shutter as a backdrop and a simple fabric-wrapped wreath. The candles were so easy. We (Miss A and I) just layered scrapbook papers and embellished them with rick rack, a rhinestone bracelet, a wooden Valentine plaque (that I found in my stash...score!) and some ribbon.

I used a 2" circle punch to make the garland...thin ribbon was sandwiched between 2 circles and glued in place. The other garland is just paper doilies strung on ribbon. 

The carnations were Miss A's choice and I would have passed them by, but I'm glad she picked them up. They were plain white, but I just took a stamp pad and brushed the edges of the petals to add a pale blush to them. I love the softness they add! I finished everything up with silver candle holders (mostly spray painted yard sale finds) from around the house.


And here it is, lit up at night...the arrangement casts a lovely glow over the living room.

So, what's your take on Valentine's Day? Are you a fan?

No comments: