Wednesday, December 4

Kitchen Tip: Sliced Apples

My kids love sliced apples, especially the ones that come in the bags in the produce section. You know the ones...they're perfectly sliced, peeled and ready to eat. But they come at a pretty penny and apparently carry some risk. (There was a recent voluntary recall.) Luckily, it's much less expensive to do this simple task at home!

I found gala apples at the grocery store for $1/pound. After peeling* and slicing, simply submerge the apples in a bowl filled with apple juice for 3-5 minutes, then store in an airtight container. I use 100% apple juice with ascorbic acid or vitamin C (basically, your run-of-the-mill apple juice.)

In just a few minutes, you'll have a bag of apples ready for those hungry kiddos! And it won't cost you an arm and a leg! :)

*If your kids can tolerate the peels, certainly leave them on for the added health benefits. My toddler tends to choke on them, so I choose to peel them.

No comments: