Monday, June 6

Chicken Broth & A Freezing Tip

Last Friday I roasted 4 small chickens and used it to make dinner and a few freezer meals.  After removing the meat, I was left with a huge bowl of bones.  Saturday I knew we'd be home all day, so I put all my ingredients into my huge stock pot and let it simmer for several hours (it was probably 7-8 hours) on low.  I very loosely follow this recipe.  At the end, I was left with beautiful bone broth...so nourishing

There's no way that we'll use up all that broth in just a few days, so what's a girl to do?  I measured it out into labeled freezer zipper bags, placed the bags on a cookie sheet and popped those puppies in the freezer.  I put about 2 cups in each bag since a can of broth is 14.5 oz.  I ended up with 12 bags, ready to go for future meals!  Yahoo!!!  Basically, that's free broth and nothing was wasted from those beautiful cage-free birds!

Now for my tip...if you've seen this elsewhere please don't tell me because I'm feeling like a genius!  : )  When you're trying to freeze bags of liquid, they tend to slide all over.  To solve the problem, I cut 3x6 inch pieces of nubby shelf liner and place between each bag while they freeze.   When they're frozen solid, I just remove the liner for use with my next freezer cooking adventure. 

Tell me...are you doing any freezer cooking to save time and money?

Ladybird Ln

Photobucket

2 comments:

Ladybird Ln said...

Oh my goodness, I love that tip! I have never heard of the shelf liner, great tip! I will have to try it, my freezer meals seem to cling to eachother! The broth look excellent too! Thanks for showing off!

Carlee
www.ladybirdln.com

Candice said...

So impressed with your tip. I am going to try it. Found you at Ladybird Lane. I am your newest follower!