Friday, January 13

Colored Rice: Miss A's Reaction

Yesterday I showed you how I made colored rice for a sensory bin activity.  If you remember, I made 6 different colors and set it up like this.  I striped the rice (about 1/2 cup of each color) in a plastic lid (from an aluminum 9x13 disposable pan) and set out 3 measuring cups, a tablespoon and a large scoop.  Later into the activity, I also gave her 2 small plastic bowls, a small water pitcher and a cardboard tube to use.

To say this activity was a huge hit with Miss A would be a complete understatement!  She LOVED this activity!!!  I set the table up at 9:55 and started cleaning it up at 11:05.  She played with it for over an hour!  I've never seen an activity keep her engaged for that long. 

One of her favorite things to do was use a small water pitcher (not pictured) to fill a cardboard tube, then lift the tube so the rice spilled out into the tray.  At the very end she asked me to put the tray on the floor where she put her feet in it and played that way for a few minutes.

Was this messy?  You bet!  But that's why I do these types of activities by our kitchen.  Sweeping rice up from the laminate floor was an easy clean up and I ended up only having to throw away about 1/2 cup of rice.  What remained in the tray and on the table was put into a ziploc bag for future use.  Plus, I still have 1-1/2 cups of each individual color for mixing later!






Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a cute idea, but every time I see a project like this all I can think is "That is one BRAVE mama!" A few months back I gave my daughter a small bowl of dried beans to play with and made the mistake of going to the bathroom. In that 1 min window she somehow managed to spread beans across 3 different rooms. We were finding them for weeks afterwards! I'm not a very brave mama anymore ; )

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Hooray for Rainbow Rice!! Your colors are so visit - I love it!

Fondly,
Pink and Green Mama
MaryLea