Friday, November 12

20 Days of Gratitude: Day 7

Photobucket

From November 6 until Thanksgiving, I'll be posting everyday, talking about someone or something I'm grateful for. I invite you to participate along with me. If you have a blog and will be participating, send me the link and I'll link back here. If you don't have a blog and there is a blessing you want to talk about, email me and I'll post it along with my daily blessing. I can even post it anonymously, if you'd prefer. There's something very powerful about focusing on what's right in our lives, and I intend to live this way, walking on the path of gratitude.

Day Seven:
Music.  I LOVE music.  I generally have music playing all the time, either from my iPod, computer, playlist.com, the radio or in my head.  And I'm also usually humming, not necessarily the song that's playing at the time!  It drives Sweet Hubby crazy!  :)  I love the power of a song, that in the moments you hear those first few phrases you can be transported back to another time and place.  For instance, if I hear the song I Want it That Way (Backstreet Boys), I am immediately standing in the snackbar at the skating rink, looking through the window that opened to the rink floor.  I can see my little brother, then about 7 years old, skating around in green inline skates, arms outstretched, while circles of light floating over the walls and floor from the disco ball.  (And remember, I didn't say I like the song I Want It That Way, just that it brings back memories!)
Photobucket
Traditional Musicians at Spannocchia, Italy

My brothers play guitar and I love to sit around and listen to them create music out of nothing.  To hear the give and take as they watch each other, each adding something to the mix, is a highlight for me of any family gathering.  Or to sit down at a piano and pour out my heart as I play the chords with God as my only witness...something about it is so detoxifying.  Music has a way of working down into your soul, revealing the things you believe, teaching you new truths.  It can set you free or enslave you, it can open your eyes or make you close them in remembrance.  It's a powerful force.

Last night, driving home on the interstate, I heard a song I haven't heard in a long time.  I had found a CD I've been looking for and popped it into the player for the drive.  It's by one of my favorite artists, now on the other side of eternity, but it really spoke to me.  Now, as I write this post, I'm reminded of it again.  Why?  Because the truth is that the real song in my heart (not just the one stuck in my head or the one I hum when I can't think of another one), but the soundtrack for my life, is the one that He put there.  So thank you Rich for sharing your voice with the world and thank You, Jesus for the song in my heart.

I used to wake up angry
Knowing the sun would shine
But the light would get lost in the clouds
I used to be so lonely
Wishing that love was mine
But never knowing where that it was found

And then there was You, Lord
Though You had always been
I'd never opened up to You
And then I was through, Lord
Through with the empty games
Now I know I want to live my life out loving You

I never heard the music 'til the day I met You Lord
I never heard the music 'til the day I met You Lord
Now I bless You for the songs that each day brings
And for how they taught me how to sing anew


Lyrics from Never Heard the Music by Rich Mullins


Photobucket

No comments: