Saturday, September 4

Fresh-from-the-garden Salsa

This recipe has been in our family for several years.  It is so fresh and delicious, you'll be coming back to it every summer when the garden is displaying its glory.  This year, tomatoes in our area didn't do well, so I had to buy my ingredients at the grocery store.  I think using the vine-riped tomatoes works out best.  If you can't grow the ingredients, check your local farmer's market.

Fresh-From-The-Garden Salsa

6-8 medium tomatoes, diced
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
4-6 green onions, sliced
1 small onion (I used red onion here), chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
2 tsp. olive or vegetable oil
2 tsp. cider vinegar
1-2 tsp. cumin (I used 2 palmfuls...we love cumin!)
1-2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1 bunch cilantro, chopped

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.  For best results, refrigerate overnight.  Serve with tortilla chips, burritos, fajitas...you get the idea!  It's good on anything!  :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rose Plated said...

Oh. That sure is tasty! Fresh from the garden ingredients tastes better than those that you buy in supermarkets! I think they are sweeter and as for leafy vegetables...they're crunchier! That is why I really love using my garden harvests than buying from markets. Oh, by the way, thanks for the recipe! I will try this out today! I got a lot of tomato harvest just this morning! LOL

April@MySacredSojourn said...

Thank you Rose Plated! I hope you enjoy it...it's one of our favorites!

melanie plush said...

Fresh from the garden salsa! The title is perfect for all the crops that I have planted here in my garden. I will make some of these in my next harvest. Your recipe will help since I don’t know how to do this because my grandma always makes this one for our family.