Wednesday, August 4

The Homeless Dresser

This little dresser was picked up a few years ago at...you guessed it, a yard sale.  I think I paid $5 for it.  It also has a mirror, but that thing is heeaavvy so it's still sitting in my studio closet.  I'm not sure why I bought this because, truthfully, I don't really like it.  But it was solid wood and sturdy, so I figured I could use it somewhere.  Since our house has very little storage (the closets are really small...and have no doors, but that's another story), I decided I could fix it up and put it in our bedroom.  At least it would work until I could find something I really do like. 

I used leftover paint I mixed up for our bedside tables and went to work.  I knew going into it that I would not have enough paint to cover it well, so I focused on the parts that would be visible.  The back didn't get touched and neither did the underside.  But I had a plan.  I simply used the same treatment I used on the bedside tables...a staple gun and a piece of fabric.  The handles got the spray paint treatment and reattached.  And the after?  Not too shabby!

Sadly, the dresser still doesn't have a home.  I finished this project last Thursday and on Saturday found an awesome chest of drawers at a yard sale for $10.  It's solid wood and was actually made at a local college in the cabinetmaking program (judging by the stamp on the back).  It's in great shape, so I put it in our room and moved this little beauty out.  So, it's still homeless, but at least now it's pretty! 

No comments: