Monday, July 19

What Monday Means

It's Monday in the Natural Nester household.  Normally, Monday means laundry.  Changing the bedsheets.  Vacuuming.  Sweeping and mopping the floors.  Cleaning the bathroom.  Emptying the refrigerator of anything suspect.  Yuck.

Today it means all those things, but it also means something else because today is my Mom's birthday. On this day a few years ago (I won't tell how many) my Mom made her grand entrance into the world, ultimately to be the middle child of 5.  She married her high school sweetheart, my Dad.  They just celebrated 31 years of marriage!  That's an accomplishment these days and I'm so proud of them.  Together, they created three children:  my two younger brothers and myself and have welcomed into the family my husband, my brother's sweet girlfriend and recently, my own baby girl.

When it came time to have my own child, she was with me through the entire pregnancy, encouraging me when I thought I'd never stop throwing up, praying over this baby, loving me when I was a hormonal mess.  She attended every childbirth class and gave me a pedicure when I couldn't see my own feet.  And when it came time to deliver, she was there through the entire labor and held my hand through every push and every tear until finally, Bitsy made her appearance. 

She has been my cheerleader and supporter, coach and mentor. Mom is one of my very best friends and I love to spend time with her.  I love that we can laugh at each other's silliness and that she knows me, sometimes better than I know myself. I love that we have our own inside jokes ("It hurts when I do this!") and that one of us can say, "These mashed potatoes are so creamy" and we burst into laughter.  I love that when I struggle and cry on her shoulder, she delivers the truth in love.  She is my hero.

Happy birthday Mom. I love you!

2 comments:

Adriene said...

Beautiful. Just like your mom and her wonderful daughter. Beautiful inside and out.

April@MySacredSojourn said...

Thank you Adriene. I love you!!