Sunday, July 25

Summer Eats

One of my favorite things about summer is the food.  The fresh-from-the-garden fruits and veggies are at their best this time of year and readily available at the farmer's market and from friends' gardens.  One of my favorite things is bruschetta.  I'm sure there are other ways to make it, but this is how it's done in our family.  This is so good that you'll probably want to lick that olive oil/salt/pepper off your plate...not that I would ever do that.  ;)  This is the bruschetta I made today for lunch.  I used red and yellow tomatoes from a friend's garden and basil from mine. Bruschetta makes a great appetizer or even a quick lunch.

Thinly slice a baguette (1/4-1/2" thick).  Brush each side with melted butter and toast in a skillet over low-medium heat.  (Use real butter; your taste buds will thank me.) Top with chopped tomatoes, basil, fresh cracked pepper, coarse sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil.  So easy, absolutely delicious and a perfect summertime treat!  Buon appetito!

No comments: