Wednesday, August 18

Rethinking the nursery...

When we decorated the nursery, we weren't sure if we were having a boy or girl.  The ultrasound tech said girl, our doctor said he wasn't sure and we were left clueless.  We ended up going with a very neutral shade of green for the walls (very soothing...I love it!) and choosing an alphabet theme crib set from Target.  At the time, I thought it was great and would work perfectly. 
Fast forward six months...we now have a darling baby girl, Miss A.  The primary color scheme is really wearing on me.  Now that I've met this little one, I want to redecorate!  Is that insane?  Probably.  I want a room that can grow with her into her toddler years (at least until she's old enough to tell me what color is her favorite) and I just don't think this is it. 

When I bought the bedding, I loved it...now it seems a little too masculine for our delicate flower.  You tell me...does this room look like a girl's room to you?  ('Cause it sure doesn't to me, ya'll!)  I'm not loving it. at. all.  I don't like the red curtains (but they help keep it dark for daytime naps.) No closet doors?  Yep, same as the other bedrooms.  And while I finally got a few things up on the walls, they still look pretty bare.  Those empty shelves on the hutch used to hold burp cloths, sock and bibs in little white boxes, but I rearranged.  It makes me think this piece doesn't even need to be in the room.
So, here's where I'm at...I found fabric I LOVE at a local quilting store.   I like the green walls and I like the shape of the furniture pieces.  I'm thinking of going with a color scheme that's more in line with the rest of the house and refinishing the crib, changing table and chest of drawers (both sets) to have more of a weathered/distressed look.  I think if I decorate in a style that fits in with what I normally do, I won't tire of it so quickly and hopefully it will grow with her, rather than look outdated in a few months time. If I do this, it will be done on a VERY tight budget; basically, I'd be out fabric for a bed skirt and curtains and paint for the furniture.  I think that using what I have, I can come up with accessories and wall decor.  What are your thoughts?  I'd really like to hear from you, especially you Moms that have older kids.

No comments: